WMS is inviting players on safari in Pride and Prey. It’s a 5 reel, 20 payline video slot that comes with an unusual game engine where multiplier rewards are on offer when you complete specific achievements. There’s also a bonus round that awards 8 free spins (initially) complete with added wilds. Play from between 10p and £200 per spin.
The design here is pretty good. With the African plains in the background, you’ll see animal print heart, diamond, club and spade symbols as well as more rewarding safari-themed symbols. In order of value are giraffes, zebras, lion cubs, lionesses and paw prints. The best paying standard symbol is the Pride and Prey logo which awards 1, 3 or 15 times your bet if you land 3, 4 or 5 on a payline. There’s also a wild that delivers 1.5, 5 or 20 times your bet. The wild can hit on all 5 reels and substitute for all of the standard symbols.
The male lion is the scatter. When this hits on reels 1, 3 and 5 on the same spin you’ll trigger the Free Spins Bonus feature. On offer here are 8 free spins. At the end of each 1 of them, symbols can be slashed by a paw and turn into a wild. Landing 3 scatters on the same spin adds 4 more free spins – this can happen plenty of times.
So far so standard. Pride and Prey also comes with Rewards feature which gives you rewards that are paid out when series of achievements are completed:
- Lazy Lion 5 losses (consecutive): 1 time your bet
- Lazy Lion Streak 10 losses (consecutive): 15 times your bet
- Lion on a Roll 5 wins (consecutive): 2 times your bet
- Unstoppable Lion 10 wins (consecutive): 50 times your bet
- Bonus Lion 1 free spin trigger: 1 time your bet
- Ultra Bonus Lion 10 free spin triggers: 10 times your bet
- Centurion Lion 100 total spins: 2 times your bet
- Dizzy Lion 1000 total spins: 20 times your bet
- Restless Lion 1 free spin retrigger: 10 times your bet
- Angry Lion 10 slash streak in 1 free spins feature: 25 times your bet
There’s no limit to the number of times an achievement can be won. The achievements are held between sessions so you don’t start from zero each time you play. Pride and Prey offers something a little different thanks to the achievements game engine. The free spins are a little more vanilla but the added wilds can make a difference. You can win a total of 400 times your bet on each spin/free spin which isn’t bad. Furthermore, the RTP stands at 97.52%.
There are plenty of similarly-themed video slots already available like IGT’s Cats. If you like better rewards the more you play, NextGen Gaming’s The Wild 3 is recommended and can provide payouts of 25,020 times your bet on each spin.