Starring Will Ferrell as a bumbling newsreader, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was one of the biggest film comedies of the early 2000s. Fourteen years on from its release and it’s gained true cult status which is probably why Bally has decided to create a video slot version. It’s a 5 reel, 25 payline game that’s comes with a bumper range of bonuses including free spins, pick me rounds and wheel bonuses. There are also 3 base game modifiers. Play on all devices from between 75p and £150 per spin.
The symbols here will be instantly recognisable to anyone who has seen the Anchorman movie. On the reels are a news truck, sunglasses, Stetson hat, glass of whisky, Baxter the dog and Champ Kind (Brian Koechner), Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), Brick Tamland (Steve Carell) and Ron Burgundy (Ferrell). There’s also a wild that replaces all other symbols apart from the scatter. Keeping the pace high in the base game are a trio of modifier extras that can trigger at random:
- Mystery Stack Reels feature – these mystery stacks can transform into the same matching symbol. A new payout then follows with the transformed symbols in place.
- Ron Reels feature – the reels feature just 5 rather than the usual 11 symbols here. You’re more likely to create a winning line.
- Baxter Wilds feature – don’t despair if your spin is a loser as it could trigger the Baxter Wilds modifier. This sees between 3 and 10 wilds drop onto reels 2 through 5. A new payout consideration then follows.
Land the bonus scatter on reels 3, 4 or 5 on the same spin and you’ll get to spin the bonus wheel. Depending on where the pointer lands, you’ll receive a small cash prize, 1 of 3 jackpots (worth up to 1,333.33 times bet) or 1 of the following bonus features:
- Ron’s Giant Free Games feature – land this and you’ll receive a payout equal to your total stake plus 6 free spins. These are played out on a new reel set that stretches some 19 rows high and offers 117 paylines.
- Whammy Free Games feature – this round offers 12 free spins. These are played out on a 25 payline machine with a new set of symbols and paytable. Keep a special eye out for the Whammy symbol here. Whenever it lands on 1 of reels 2, 3 or 4, it will move you 1 step up the ladder. The higher up the ladder you make it by the end of the free spins, the bigger the bonus prize awarded. This comes in addition to any standard wins you’ve managed in the round.
- Bricks Weather Wheels feature – this is a spin the wheel bonus. The action starts on the blue reel. Cash prizes are awarded depending on where the pointer lands. If it lands on a Level Up, you’ll go to the green wheel where bigger prizes can be won. Find a Level Up here and you’ll advance to the red wheel. This awards a multiplier of between 2x and 10x from your accumulated wins from the blue and green wheels.
- Sex Panther Pick feature – choose 3 of the 15 bottles, behind which lie cash prizes. Then move to the packets. Pick 1 to unveil a multiplier. This can boost your win by anything from 2x right up to 10x.
Just like the original movie version of Anchorman, there’s a brash, colourful look to the design here. It’s as gaudy as a 1970s polyester suit and fits the theme perfectly. As does the soundtrack which features songs from Bill Withers and Hot Chocolate among others.
The range of extras impresses here too, delivering plenty of variety. The modifiers perk up the base game but the best chances comes from the quartet of bonus features.
There was nothing subtle about Anchorman movie and that’s true of the video slot version. It’s bright, flashy and in your face. We enjoyed it though. If you’ve seen and enjoyed the film, great. Even if you haven’t, the range of extras makes Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy well worth a spin. I also suggest you try Titanic which is based on the iconic film and made by Bally.