The famous Chinese tile game forms the basis for Mahjong 88, a volatile, cluster pays video slot from Play ’N Go. Played using an 8 reel, 8 row grid, winning combinations are created by landing clusters of matching symbols. Charge the Fortune Meter to bring extras into play. Special seasonal wilds can deliver plenty more extras too. Stakes range from between 10p and £100 per spin.
The visuals in Mahjong 88 are terrifically well done. The 8×8 grid is filled with a collection of Mahjong tiles. Top of the payers is the tile with the pink flower. Land 12 or more of these in combination and you’ll pocket an award of 500 times your total bet.
Symbol drops are in play here. Winning symbols are removed, new ones replace them and a new payout calculation is made. The symbol drops keep on coming as long as a new winning combination is created.
Each winning combination fills up the Fortune Frog Meter. Once the Meter reaches 33 wins, it becomes charged. After a losing spin, you’ll then receive 1 of the of the following 4 froggy-inspired extras:
- Croak – 1 symbol set pays scatter style.
- Spawn – A symbol transformation takes place and a new payout consideration follows.
- Tongue – 2 edges are chosen. The symbols in between them transform into a new symbol.
- Hop – 1 symbol transforms and destroys all its adjacent symbols.
The Meter doesn’t reset here either. If Fortune Frog Meter reaches 88 symbols, it becomes Super Charged. Any wins achieved during that round benefit from a 5x multiplier boost. The action in Mahjong 88 takes place in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter modes. Each season comes with its own special wild extra:
- Spring Mode – Up to 12 wilds can land anywhere on the reels.
- Summer Mode – Up to 5 wilds are added, destroying symbols adjacent to them.
- Autumn Mode – Up to 11 wilds are added. These can turn symbols wild or be destroyed from the edges.
- Winter Mode – Up to 4 sticky wilds are added.
Between 25 and 99 spins are played in each mode before you move on to the next season.
Mahjong 88 is an unusual video slot. The design is first class. The gameplay can take a little getting used to though as the extras offer something rather different. That gameplay can serve up some rather impressive action though, especially if you like volatile games.
Even if you’ve never rattled the tiles in real life before, the classy visuals and unorthodox, high variance gameplay makes Mahjong 88 worth a closer look. Saying that, more traditional 5 reel video slots are more appealing to me personally – thankfully Play ‘N Go has lots to choose from with Crystal Sun my choice as it’s a souped-up Starburst!