NetEnt is the latest developer to have a crack at the Irish luck theme in Finn and the Swirly Spin. Played using a 5 reel, 5 row avalanche reels game engine, it comes with 4 randomly triggered base game extras and 4 free spins rounds. Play on your desktop, tablet or mobile device from 10p to £200 per spin.
Video slots from NetEnt are usually easy on the eye and Finn and the Swirly Spin is another fine-looking game. The reels are set against a 3D valley and include playing card suit symbols as well as 4-leaf clovers, horse shoes and acorns. Most rewarding are the red gemstones – land 3, 4 or 5 of these in combination for a 20, 100 or 500-coin award. Those winning combinations are created by landing 3 or more of the same symbol either horizontally or vertically.
The avalanche reels mean that symbols are removed following a successful spin with new symbols dropping in their place. These continue as long as a new winner is created. If the win includes a wild, all the adjacent symbols explode. If the win doesn’t include a wild, a wild is dropped into play to replace 1 of the exploding symbols.
Spicing up the base game are a quartet of randomly hitting modifier extras:
- Starfall Wilds feature – when this hits, 2 to 5 wilds are added to the reels. If that spin doesn’t result in a winner, more wilds are added.
- Dragon Destroy – Look out for the roaring Dragon which destroys a random selection of symbols to create a winning combo.
- Irish Luck – You’ll hit a winning combination here thanks to the added horizontal or vertical line of matching symbols.
- Magic Transform – Lower value heart and spade symbols transform into higher value symbols to create a winner.
1 symbol we haven’t mentioned yet is the gold key which starts in the bottom left corner of the reels in the base game. With each avalanche, it moves around the reels. When it eventually arrives the middle position of reel 3, you’ll trigger the free spins round. There are 4 possible free spin rounds which you can unlock as you collect more keys:
- Star Bar Free Spins feature – this is what you’ll start with following your initial trigger. 7 free spins are awarded, complete with Starfall Wilds.
- Lava Lair Free Spins feature – 4 keys are required to unlock this round. 3 free spins are awarded. Watch out for the Dragon which destroys a random selection of symbols on each spin. Helping you create winning lines is a sticky wild which is in play throughout.
- Lucky Mug Free Spins feature – once you’ve landed 9 keys, you can play the Lucky Mug free spins. The Irish Luck bonus from the base game with matching symbols added is in play here.
- Golden Pot Free Spins feature – the Magic Transform extra is active during your 2 free spins here. 16 keys are required to unlock this round.
The visuals have the familiar look of a NetEnt video slot. The avalanche reels gameplay is a little unusual though. The free spins offer plenty of potential action and the base game modifiers help keep things moving in the base game – you can win up to 500 times your stake on each free spin.
Leprechaun themed games are usually very simple. This is much more complex, both in terms of design and features. If you like the Irish luck genre then Finn and the Swirly Spin is certainly worth considering. I also recommend you play NetEnt’s Planet of the Apes which is simply brilliant.