Based on the muscular sword and sorcery rather than the US late night talk show host, Conan is a 6 reel, 20 payline video slot from NetEnt. You can expect high end design here as well as plenty of extras. Look out for transforming symbols, expanding wilds, mystery multipliers as well as 3 different free spins which vary in volatility. Play on all devices from between 20p and £200 per spin.
There aren’t many better developers that NetEnt when it comes to design and Conan lives up to their usual high standards. On the reels you’ll see lower value coins as well as ropes, swords, helmets and a cast of characters from the story.
Conan is the best payer, awarding 6 times your total bet if you land 6 on a payline. There are also 2 different wilds, more of which shortly. There’s an epic theme to Conan and that’s matched by the extensive range of features.
- Mystery Symbols feature – any hissing cobra symbols that land on reels 3 or 4 all transform into the same matching symbol. A new payout calculation the follows.
- Tower Wilds feature – these can appear on reels 1 and 2 in the base game. When they hit, they can expand fully or partially to fill extra spaces.
- Battle Wilds feature – these can land on reels 5 and 6 only. They can expand to fill up to 3 adjacent positions and turn them wild too.
- Mystery Multiplier feature his is triggered by landing a full stack of mystery symbols on reels 3 or 4 in the base game. You’ll then get a multiplier boost of between 3x and 7x.
- Thoth-Amon feature – land a full stack of Mystery Symbols plus the Battle or Tower Wilds and you’ll see between 3 and 6 extra Mystery Symbols added to the middle 4 reels.
- Linked Reels feature – reels 1 and 2, reels 3 and 4, or reels 5 and 6 can link together to show the same symbols.
There are also 3 free spin features which are triggered by landing 3 or more scatters on the same spin – with 10, 15, 25 or 50 free spins for 3, 4, 5 or 6 scatters, the Linked Reels feature applies on each free spin but can see between 2 and 6 linked reels. Anyway, you then choose from 3 options:
- City of Thieves Free Spins feature – in this round, the Tower Wilds are in play. This is a low to medium variance option.
- Temple of the Serpent Free Spins feature – Mystery Symbols and Stacked Mystery symbols can appear on all 6 reels in this bonus. Fill a whole reel with Mystery Symbols to bring multipliers of between 3x and 7x into play. You can also trigger the Thoth-Amon feature in this round too. This is a medium to high variance pick.
- Walls of Tarantia Free Spins feature – Battle Wilds are central to the action in this round. Like the City of Thieves round, this is a low to medium variance choice.
There’s a lot more going on here than we’ve come to expect from a NetEnt video slot. It works pretty well though, offering plenty of variety and keeping things fresh. The high spec design is a given and it doesn’t disappoint here. The visuals are superbly drawn and the soundtrack has a suitably epic feel.
I loved Arnie’s Conan movies growing up – however, the video slot version looks great but offers payouts of 1,008 times your bet on each free spin with the 7x multiplier. On a base game spin or other free spins, you can only win 144 times your bet – this is seriously disappointing.
Honestly, I think NetEnt has got Conan wrong – the brand is well-known and it provides for some excellent source material. However, the small potential wins are what lets it down. I would much rather play other branded titles like NetEnt’s Vikings (10,000 times bet max win) or Microgaming’s Game of Thrones (20,250 times bet max win).