Aliens take over the skies of Washington in Mars Attacks, a 5 reel, 20 payline video slot from Blueprint Gaming. Based on Tim Burton’s cult sci-fi comedy, it comes with plenty of extras. The 5 base game modifiers include added wilds, mystery symbols and streak respins. Also on offer are 5 bonus rounds which deliver pick me prizes, free spins and much else besides. Play on your PC, tablet or mobile from between 10p and £500 per spin.
As usual for a Blueprint Gaming video slot, the design in Mars Attacks is top notch. The White House dominates the backdrop. On the reels you’ll find A to J symbols as well as eyes, TV sets, ray guns and an alien. The Mars Attacks! logo is the most rewarding standard symbol. This pays 25 times your bet if you land 5 on a payline.
Potentially even more rewarding is the wild which offers awards of up to 25 times your bet per payline. The wild does all the usual substitution duties and replaces everything bar the scatter. There’s a huge variety of extras in Mars Attacks, starting with the 5 base game modifiers that can strike at random on any base game spin:
- Radiation Blaster feature – extra wilds are added to the reels and a new payout calculation is made.
- Mega Shrink Ray feature – the reels change size and shape here. You’ll get a play on a 3,125 ways to win machine.
- Abduction Beam feature – symbols are removed by the alien Mothership which drops new ones into place. A new payout then follows.
- Expansion Cannon feature – the cannon fires a mystery symbol onto the reels which spreads across the reels. These mystery symbols all morph into the same matching symbol and a new payout calculation takes place.
- Sub Zero Laser feature – after a winning spin, the successful symbols lock in position and the reels spin again. The respins continue until no new matching symbol or wild joins the original winning cluster.
Land 3 or more scatters on the same spin to trigger the bonus round. You’ll be taken to a new screen where you get to pick a location on a world map. This will decide which feature you’ve been awarded. If you don’t like your allocation, you can try and gamble for a better one.
- Spy Hunter feature – in this straightforward pick me round, finding Martians awards cash prizes. Hope to land the Martian Ambassador as he awards a big money boost (more on this below). The round continues until you uncover 3 humans.
- We Come In Peace feature – more picks take place in this round. Fill containers to the side of the reels which come with cash values attached. Look out for multipliers that can boost the prizes here. Keep on choosing until you locate the Martian orb.
- DNA Analysis feature – land this round and you’ll receive 5 free spins on a 5×4 reel set. When a wild lands, it expands by 1 position with each free spin.
- Martian Takeover feature – this awards 10 free spins on a 3×5 machine. Land a Roaming Robot Wild and it will fill its reel then moves 1 reel to the left until it drops off the screen.
- Final Stand feature – the best bonus awards an unlimited number of free spins. Any Human symbols that land on reel 2 provide a multiplier boost while Martians that land on reel 4 remove symbols from play. Keep spinning until the progress bar is full. If the humans are victorious, a big money bonus is awarded. This can be up to 1,000 times your bet!
Mars Attacks is part of the Jackpot King network so you’ll also have a shot at landing a potentially massive progressive prize. Land 5 overlay Jackpot King symbols to trigger the round. Collect crowns and spin the bonus wheel for a chance to land the big one.
Blueprint Gaming’s other branded video slots have combined high spec design with a huge range of extras. Mars Attacks keeps to the same formula. It looks and sounds excellent and delivers plenty of variety on the features front.
If you enjoyed the 1996 film, then you should find plenty to like here. Even if you’re not a fan of the cult comedy, the wealth of features makes Mars Attacks well worth investigating. On the other hand, Blueprint Gaming also offer you plenty of high variance games which are simpler and more appealing in my opinion – you cannot go wrong with Journey of the Gods and Vikings Unleashed MegaWays.