Loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen’s story The Ugly Duckling, Scruffy Duck is a 5 reel, 25 payline video slot from Net Entertainment. Featuring the developer’s usual high spec design, this cartoon-style game comes with plenty of features.
Look out for expanding wilds as well as a bonus feature that awards between 6 and 15 free spins with an array of modifier extras including 3x multipliers, high value symbol spins, colossal wilds, random wilds or even a mash up of 2 features. Play, on all devices, from between 25p and £250 per spin.
NetEnt rarely produce poorly designed video slots and Scruffy Duck is certainly no ugly duckling – set on a cartoon lake, symbols include duck egg style A to J playing cards and a family of ducks. Daddy is the 1 you’ll be hoping to see the most – a 5 on a payline combo awards 400 coins.
Joining the ducks and eggs is a wild – this can transform into an expanding wild and fill the whole reel in which it appears. This is the Expanding Wild feature.
The real action in Scruffy Duck comes via the Free Spins feature – to trigger it, you’ll need to land the free spins symbol on reels 3, 4 and 5 on the same spin. Then pick from the diving ducks to reveal 1 of the following free spin and modifier combinations:
- Multiplier feature – on offer here are 15 free spins. Every winning payline landed in this feature is trebled.
- Symbol Removal feature – land this and you’ll receive 12 free spins. Only high value symbols are on show here. All of the A to J symbols are removed from the reels.
- Colossal Wilds feature – giant 2×2 and 3×3 wilds are added to the central reels on each of the 10 free spins awarded in this feature. Expanding wilds can therefore land on reels 1 and 5.
- Random Wilds feature – 8 free spins are on offer here. The reels are filled with between 2 and 5 random wilds on each free spin. Unfortunately, these random wilds don’t expand.
- Double feature – 2 of the 4 features above will be active during the 6 free spins awarded if you land this feature.
Once again, NetEnt has taken an old favourite and given it a new lease of life. The design is top notch as usual and the range of features offers something for everyone. All of the modifiers provide some decent winning chances. Combine 2 of them and then get lucky and some top results are possible.
There’s up to 1,200 times your stake to be won in the Multiplier feature and Double feature (if you combine the Multiplier feature with another). The childish, cartoon theme won’t be to everyone’s taste – even if you’re not usually a fan, the features make Scruffy Duck a very playable proposition and worth further investigation. If you like fairy tale inspired offerings, NetEnt’s Fairytale Legends: Red Riding Hood is recommended.